Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

The Start - The Reason - The Memories -TO VIEW MY PARENTS ACCOUNTS DURING THE WAR... REVIEW THE SIDE BAR ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THIS PAGE, CLICK ON THE BLOG ARCHIVE... 2013... December (12)



The reason for my blog:

To leave a record of what my family had to endure, suffer and accomplished during WW II. I feel that my children, and my children’s children should have the opportunity to reflect on their past; to know what our parents had to go through for us. We now have the technology to record our past, to be read by anyone who wishes to read it, so there it is…

Unfortunately, (at least on my part), we moved to Canada in 1956 when I was only 6 years old. Most of my past family life / history was never kept alive, as my parents did not talk to much about their past. I lost my heritage. To this day, I still feel that I have lost something and that I am "out of sink" living in Canada.


Now living in Canada, with no other close relatives for resources, I am relying on my father’s journal and the stories we have heard over the years from our Mum and Dad. They did not like to talk about the war times, as those times were extremely difficult / emotional times, too many atrocities.

My father and grandparents have already passed on, leaving my mum of 91 years old to somehow help me try to unfold their story. 

Talking about my blog project to mum, she got very emotional stating she wants to leave the nightmare in the past, as she still has difficulties sleeping thinking about those times. To this day she still has a hard time dealing with the “sins” and events of her past; even after receiving emotional help through her entire life, these dreams still haunt her. However, she did open up and seemed happy to talk all about some of the “good” times during those days. She stated that these times were the best and yet the worst times of her life. She never felt more alive... no one knew what tomorrows will bring, live the moment.

Later in this blog, I will give some "accounts" that mum and dad experienced... the extreme difference between the Nazi Regime and the Germany people. People are people... there is good and bad in every country and on both sides of any fence.

I am presently researching the web for whatever I can find to add to my story. I welcome any help and constructive criticism from my family and readers of my blog.

I may be adding the occasional photograph from the web (with / without permission), to retain your mindset of those times. Hoping that is OK.

Once finished, my blog will be available to publish for any family member.

Hendrik (Hank Schut)
hschut55@gmail.com